"The elevation of our people should be the basis of choosingt mates with compatible purposes. The needs of our community are assessed to determine the purpose of any male/female union. There is no contradiction here. We fufill each other by strengthening the community that gives us life. "
-- Prof. Mwalimu Baruti "The Sex Imperatives"
I know i was going to give you guys a list of books to check out. Some i read, some i did not read and some i am reading. Here is that list...
1. When Heaven and Earth Changed Places by Le Ly Hayslip. Very emotional. As emotional as Assata's book. I cried so many times while reading it. So tragic yet triumphant. Its about a young lady in a big family growing up during the Vietnamese conflict against the French and later the Americans. It shows how a family can be torn apart. She later returns to Vietnam to reconcile with her family. Well worth the price.
2. Capoeira: Roots of the Dance Fight Game by Nestor Capoeira. Dope, dope, dope. Cop this one please. It really breaks down the climate that helped to spawn capoeira. This book tells it all up to the forming of the major sschools that went overseas and spread this martial art around the world.
3. The Culture of Fear by Barry Glassner . This is the cat that was interviewed in South Central LA on Bowling for Columbine. The book is definitely an eye opener and show and proves how the media is in it for the loot.
4. ALL CITY: the Book about taking space by Paul 107. for all you all city mofo's who love to be criminal minded and buck the system. This book is for you. ONly the real heads know. Put like this, i rarely pay for a book full price and i did it for this one.
5. We Real Cool: Black Men and Masculinity by Dr. bell hooks . We just started reading it. Man, Dr. hooks does it again. she just drops it. Her feminism is on point without leaving brothers out.
6. Bum Rush the Page: A Def Poetry Jam edited by Louis Reyes Rivera. my man Shaggy Flores told me to cop this one just for the fact that Rivera, an orginial Nuyorican, edited it. Shaggy is the man, peoples, so his word is straight gospel. I have yet to cop this one though.
7. Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Pat Kiyosaki .. classic material, a must read. buy two of these and give one away....!
so go to your local mom and pop bookstores and demand these joints! have fun and read, read, read....